Cyber Security Data Scientist - Symantec
- Data Scientist
- Data Analytics
At Symantec we relentlessly protect the world's information. Across the globe, we are an essential partner to both consumers and businesses of all sizes. We combine our talents, our knowledge and our creative energy to reinforce Symantec as a world class technical community.
Symantec’s Center for Advanced Machine Learning (CAML) engages in translational and advanced research and development to improve Symantec’s products, technology and human capital efficiency. We focus our efforts in four key areas:
• Automation – scaling our people, processes and products
• Personalization – customizing our technology and products for specific tasks, customers and contexts
• Innovation – developing new solutions and advancing the state-of-the-art in machine learning and cybersecurity protection
• Education – teaching our engineering, product and research communities
We collaborate closely with internal stakeholders to capitalize on Symantec’s unique data assets and resources, and we relentlessly strive to solve current and future challenges in securty and information management.
• Collaborate with functional engineering and product teams across Symantec including: enterprise security like Email.Cloud, Data Loss Prevention, Managed Security Services and Secure Endpoint Protection; core technologies in our cloud, backend and endpoint development teams; Norton Product teams; and our Global Security Office for physical security, SOC, incidence response, risk compliance and governance.
• Lead machine learning and data science based projects to improve our company and products’ security postures, enhance the organization’s ability to detect and analyse security threats, and develop new and advanced security features.
• Research and apply state-of-the-art technologies in machine learning, big data and data wrangling to correlate and analyze large volumes of security telemetry, threat indicators and customer logs.
• Develop and deliver proofs-of-concepts for machine learning / data science applications capable of serving high probability true positive threat detection in near real-time.
• Architect and work closely with engineering team members on scalable cloud-based cybersecurity data analytics and machine learning microservices and applications; support core algorithm implementation activities; measure and provide feedback on algorithm effectiveness.
• Develop end-to-end machine learning applications, including identification of new use cases, hypothesis formulation, and testing.
• Automate analyst workflow and utilize data visualization & statistical analysis for researching and presenting information about new vulnerabilities and threat detections.
• Provide recommendations for data collection requirements, and policy configurations of deployed security technologies.
• Ph.D in computer science, engineering, or other technical domain.
• 3+ years of experience in machine learning, preferably including projects in text mining and deep learning.
• Ability to lead a project through all stages: concept formulation, definition of metrics, determination of appropriate methodologies, research evaluation, reporting and reference model delivery.
• Experience in manipulating large distributed data sets.
• Expertise in classic statistics and machine learning tasks and algorithms, including: feature engineering, feature selection, sampling, tree and tree ensemble techniques, boosting and bagging, linear algebra and optimization, performance assessment. Preferred experience includes solid foundation in Bayesian statistics, probabilistic programming, structural relational learning and deep learning.
• Solid programming skills in Python.
• Strong experience with data wrangling, including SQL & NoSQL data stores, text and log files, etc. Experience with Hadoop and Spark are preferred.
• Solid experience working with linux systems, e.g., the bash shell, ftp, curl, etc. Prefer experience using Docker for containerization.
• Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Personal characteristics
o Ability to work independently without supervision
o Ability to effectively multi-task
o Demonstrated proactiveness and resourcefulness
o Strong attention to detail
o Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
o Strong consulting skills
o Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to work well with individuals across all departments and levels
Contact: To be considered for a position, please submit your resume/CV on the Symantec Careers site. (http://www.symantec.com/about/careers/search.jsp)
Symantec staffing professionals will review your qualifications against open positions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Symantec Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes diversity.
NOTE: To all recruitment firms: Symantec is not accepting agency/search firm referrals for this posting, or other postings, without prior written permission from Symantec’s Staffing organization. Symantec is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Symantec is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Relentlessly protect the world’s information. Make a difference at Symantec. Across the globe, we are an ‘essential’ partner to both consumers and businesses of all sizes. We combine our talents, our brains, and our creative energy to reinforce our place as a world-class technical community.
Our most critical asset at Symantec is the talent we hire - you! We look for people who have a desire to excel and reflect our values: Innovation, Action, Customer-Driven, and Trust. We recognize that every opening in our company is a chance to increase Symantec's competitive advantage, and we are willing to invest in you in order to win.
Symantec is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Symantec will respond to requests for reasonable accommodations to assist you in applying for positions at Symantec, or to submit a resume. If you need to request an accommodation, please contact HR Service Exchange .
EEO is the Law. Applicants and employees of Symantec Corporation are protected under Federal law from discrimination.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Data Security Analyst Jobs
- View more Data Scientist Jobs
- View more Data Analytics Jobs
- View more Statistician Jobs
- View more Symantec Jobs