Data Scientist - Experimentation - eBay
- Data Scientist
- Data Engineer
- Data Analytics
Requisition Number R0014323
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Job Description Summary:
Experimentation is a key enabler for innovation at eBay and plays a critical role in improving buyer & seller experience. Our experimentation capabilities are world class and we continue to enhance it to stay ahead of the ecommerce trends. The team is looking for a Manager, Experimentation Science to help improve the sensitivity of the financial metrics used in experimentation program by application of complex statistical techniques such as Modeling/Machine Learning, Bayesian Structural models, Clustering, Regression techniques, Time series etc.
- Working towards implementing various cutting-edge statistical tools and techniques in Multichannel Experimentation and their frequent enhancements.
- Collaborate closely with principal statisticians in the larger team to scale algorithms and launch high-availability experimentation data-science services
- Lead research on multivariate statistical methods, quasi-experimental research designs (regression adjustment, stratification), longitudinal analysis, random effect models, evaluating applicability of improved experimental design and measurement techniques to help guide product owners with appropriate approach for A/B testing their products.
- With the aid of modeling techniques and statistical software - analyze, extract key insights from model outputs and interpret statistical results and communicate findings to the stakeholders (product owners). Use machine learning techniques to create scalable solutions for various business problems related to experimentation.
- New feature / business performance metric development, derived variable creation, using advanced variable transformation techniques also evaluation of their information value.
- Variance estimation of complex business metrics (ratio-metrics / continuous), handling issues with heavy-tailed distributions and extreme values. Use cutting edge resampling techniques such as – bootstrapping / jack-knife.
- Using concepts like factor analysis, principal component analysis to identify minimal set (variable reduction) of key features of a model.
- Applying Bayesian statistics, Adaptive/Sequential learning for experimentation.
- Detect heterogeneous treatment effects in A/B tests, conceptualize and perform clustering algorithms, regression adjustments, post-stratification etc.
- Design, development and evaluation of highly innovative models for predictive learning and sensitivity improvement in experimentation & measurements.
- Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes and data pipelines for large scale data analyses, A/B testing and related model development.
The role is data-intensive and hence the successful candidates should be extremely comfortable working with large sets of data and deliver business insights from the data using analytical techniques. The successful candidates should also be able to offer a strategic perspective, sound business judgment, and be able to work collaboratively / cross-functionally with multiple teams, located in different geographies. He will possess strong intellectual curiosity, and a passion for achieving practical business impact.
Successful candidates should also demonstrate:
- Ability to take initiatives and drive work
- Hands-on approach to data analysis, with attention to detail and quality
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, in dealing with people at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional business judgment and quantitative analytic capability
- Experience in distilling and presenting complex quantitative analysis to business users
- Intellectual curiosity, passion for problem-solving, and comfort with ambiguity
- High energy and a desire to work in a results-oriented, fast growth environment
- Ability to thrive in a cross-functional environment while juggling multiple responsibilities
- A passion for understanding and serving the unique community of eBay
- Strong academic profile with an emphasis on quantitative coursework
Qualifications/ Skill Set:
- PhD/MS Degree in Statistics/ Mathematics or a quantitative field (Engineering / Computer Science/ Economics)
- Knowledge of databases and scripting languages like - SQL/Hive, data processing framework, data mining (structured and unstructured data)
- Hands on experience with statistical tools like: R, Python
- Prior experience on Regression techniques/modeling, Optimization techniques, Bayesian statistics, Bias-variance analysis, Sample size estimation, Cluster Analysis etc.
- An ideal candidate will possess analytical skills in mathematical formulation, modeling algorithm development.
- 2-5+ years of relevant experience, preferably in business consulting, ecommerce or financial services
- Experience in web or social analytics is preferred
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Data Scientist Jobs
- View more Data Scientist Jobs
- View more Data Engineer Jobs
- View more Data Analytics Jobs
- View more Statistician Jobs
- View more eBay Jobs